I believe that symptoms – whether physical or emotional – are our bodies’ way of trying to get our attention. They tell us something isn’t right. So, whether it is anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue or pain, insomnia, nightmares, fights with your spouse, hatred of your body, binge eating, lack of motivation, losing it with your kids… I’ll be listening for root causes.
There is a balance between gaining coping skills for your symptom and resolving the underlying issue creating the symptom. It’s a lot like taking aspirin. It helps in the moment, and can be a lifesaver if you have a headache, but it doesn’t keep them from coming back. So aspirin might be fine for an occasional headache, but not for chronic ones. Similarly, I can (and will!) teach you ways to manage symptoms such as anxiety, but often the path to healing involves going deeper, and we will do that, too.
Here are some of the types of issues I can help you with:
- Coaching you to be more assertive and protecting yourself with better boundaries, such as saying no even when it will be unpopular.
- Decreasing self-sabotaging choices and addictive urges, such as binge eating, impulsive spending, and procrastinating.
- Releasing stubborn negative thoughts about yourself, such as feeling “not good enough” and hating your body.
- Exploring what isn’t working in your relationships with family, friends, and significant others.
- Coping with the stress of taking care of an aging parent.
- Organizing your thoughts on difficult decisions.
- Considering what might be more fulfilling work for you.
- Understanding and changing unhealthy or unsatisfying patterns of sexual behavior.
- Trusting your gut and doing what’s best for you, in spite of what others might be saying.
- Finding the balance between accepting your parenting mistakes and growing into the parent you want to be.